Pages

Monday, October 10, 2011

Weekend off .....We visit : The Capitol Park

Well , we all look forward to the weekend, to enjoy some family fun time and to share some bonding and togetherness. We can't wait to get out and explore with daddy some beautiful nature settings or anything that strike our fancy and moods.

At first glance, the remains of Alabama's fourth state capitol building look like the ruins of a small gothic cathedral somewhere in barbarian-ravaged Europe or Britain. The place seems impossibly small to have housed all the various functions of state government.
Alabama had state capitols in four other places before Montgomery, namely, St. Stephens, Cahawba, Huntsville and Tuscaloosa. Each was built and later abandoned due to floods, insects, disease, and/or political expediency. Every capitol site, including the present, is on or near a major river, as highways and railroads were scarce in the old days.

The facility at Tuscaloosa was quite ornate & elaborate, and served its purpose well from 1826 to 1845. The building was used as a girls' school after the capitol moved, and finally burned down some years later. Eventually all the remaining stone, bricks and marble were either stolen, moved to other building sites, or shoved into a ravine adjacent to the capitol grounds.

The "ruins" you see now are actually a clever, artistic, historically correct reproduction built on-site of salvaged and returned materials from the original building. Finely-crafted bronze plates on the grounds show the layout and history of the capitol edifice. Bring your camera, as these digs seem expressly designed for the artist and photographer.





Add caption









4 comments:

  1. awesome pictures! where is that park located? We've never been there, can you give some directions?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you live? I might be able to give you directions based on your location, do you have kids?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Just found your blog through playschool 6 and am looking forward to checking it out. I had been missing reading your in the past because I thought I was already subscribed to it...did you know there is another blog that has been around for years by the same name? Here's a link so you can check it out.

    http://ourmontessorihomeschool.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for reading my posts. I recently came across your blog and I have been reading your reviews about using the Muriel Dwyer approach at home. Thank you very much for sharing such a valuable information. I was about to introduce the PBG series with my kids and looking for concepts and ideas (since I'm new doing the Monti thing) I found your post and it has totally change my mind about the PBS scheme. I'm going to use The Dwyer's approach with my kids, I don't know this method, but for what I heard or read about it, it just make a lot of sense to me. I also order the book that you recommend on your review: "A Path for the Exploration of Any Language Leading to Writing an..... , I wonder if this is the "famous" pamphlet everybody is talking about. I didn't realize there was another blog named like mind until I came across your blog. I will check it out later. I'm looking forward reading another post from you !

    ReplyDelete